What is Ascariasis?
Ascariasis, also called intestinal parasites, is an infection caused by helminths like pinworms, hookworms, tapeworms and roundworms. These worms do not multiply but can cause serious pain over time.
If you notice worms in your stool, accompanied by abdominal pain then, you are likely to have Ascariasis.
This blog is written to help you with the home remedies and diet plans which you can follow to protect yourself from Ascariasis.
How is it caused?
Ascariasis, like many other parasitic infections, lurks in soil, food and water by laying their eggs and being consumed by humans.
- It is caused if you are living in an unhygienic environment.
- It is caused due to poor sanitation.
- It is caused by consuming unwashed food contaminated with Ascaris eggs.
- It is caused by drinking water contaminated with Ascaris eggs.
- It may also be caused if your child has a weak immune system.
What are its symptoms?
When you are suffering from intestinal parasites or Ascariasis, you will start developing symptoms which include:
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal swelling
- Passing a worm in your stool
- Weight loss
- Learning problems
- Shortness of breath
What are the effective home remedies and diet plans to treat this disease?
If the causes and symptoms mentioned above, are similar in your case, then you could be having this disease. And, it is equally necessary to take immediate measures in order to treat or prevent yourself from such disease.
Below is an outline of suggestions that will be of great help to you with the disease. What’s more? The home remedies and diet plans will save you the burden and cost of frequent hospital visits.
- Berberine extracted from barberry is a useful herb that helps fight intestinal parasites and protects against Ascariasis infection.
- Papaya seed-based elixir or liquid helps clear your stool off parasites.
- Honey is also a natural and useful way to treat intestinal parasites.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in amino acids and fatty acids and are believed to be useful in anti-parasitic treatment.
- Wormwood herb helps in the treatment of intestinal parasites as it contains compounds which are thought to weaken parasite membranes and killing them.
- Have a diet that is rich in vitamin C and vitamin B.
- Include more garlic in your meal.
- Temporarily avoid drinking coffee, refined sugar and refined grains.
- Increase your consumption of carrots, sweet potatoes, squash and other foods that are rich in beta-carotene, a precursor for vitamin A.
- Yogurt is a probiotic-rich food that helps in rebuilding beneficial bacteria and neutralize intestinal parasites.
- A high-fibre diet with supplements, such as beetroot and flaxseed can aid your body in clearing out intestinal parasites.
- Drink boiled and filtered water.
- Avoid eating unhygienic foods in the streets.
Since the infection occurs mostly in young children, chances are, if you are not taking proper care of sanitation, your surroundings and the foods that you eat and drink, you could also become a victim to the intestinal parasite infection, or Ascariasis.
If you have Ascariasis, the natural remedies mentioned above can help you treat or prevent the infection.