What is Ancylostoma duodenale (Necator Americanus) infection?
You probably must have heard or experienced having worms inside your body, especially in the small intestines, causing further infection in the body followed by complications. One such infection is the Ancylostoma duodenale infection.
Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator Americanus are the two human hookworms that together form what is called the hookworm infection in humans. The female hookworms reproduce through eggs.
Ancylostoma duodenale is prevalent throughout the world. It is also known as the human hookworm infection.
This blog is written to help you with the home remedies and diet plans which you can follow to protect yourself from Ancylostoma duodenale (Necator Americanus) infection or hookworm infection.
How is it caused?
The many reasons that explain the cause of Ancylostoma duodenale infection or hookworm infection are as follows:
- Ancylostoma duodenale is transmitted by direct contact with the soil that is contaminated with the larvae.
- Sometimes, the hookworm can also be transmitted by ingesting the larvae.
- The larvae mature and can penetrate the skin of humans.
- The hookworm eggs are passed in the faeces of an infected person.
What are its symptoms?
If you are suffering from Ancylostoma duodenale or hookworm infection, you will start showing the following symptoms from few days after the infection.
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Geophagia (eating soil-like substances like earth, clay or chalk)
- Protein deficiency
- Dry skin
- Oedema (swelling from excessive accumulation of watery fluid in cells or tissues)
- Potbelly (fat localised around the waist)
- Iron deficiency
- Mental dullness
- Heart failure
Apart from the various symptoms mentioned above, women who are pregnant and infected by the parasite may experience the low birth weight of the infant, maternal anaemia, or even infant mortality. This is because the parasite can infect the foetus and cause complications.
What are the home remedies and diet guide to treat or prevent Ancylostoma duodenale (Necator Americanus) infection?
If the causes and symptoms mentioned above, are similar in your case, then you could be having this disease. And, it is equally necessary to take immediate measures in order to treat or prevent yourself from such disease.
Below is an outline of suggestions that will be of great help to you with the disease. What’s more? The home remedies and diet plans will save you the burden and cost of frequent hospital visits.
- Ensure improved sanitation in order to keep the infection away.
- Wear shoes to cover your feet and protect yourself from being infected by Ancylostoma duodenale or the hookworm infection.
- Avoid walking barefoot on contaminated soil.
- Drink plenty of water as it helps in cleansing impurities from your body.
- Maintain a healthy diet by eating properly cooked foods that are rich in iron, protein and vitamin.
- Eat foods that contain fats, in case you have a pot belly.
By taking careful steps, you can protect yourself and your family from the Ancylostoma duodenale or hookworm infection and live a healthy life.