What is Angiostrongylus infection or Angiostrongyliasis?
It is not a new thing that people don’t get infected by worms. Children and adults get infected by what is called Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection. This is an infection that is caused in humans by roundworms which is a parasitic roundworm which may cause gastrointestinal or central nervous system diseases in humans, depending on the species.
The Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection, also known as rat lung-worms, causes eosinophilic meningitis, that is, inflammation of brain cells and tissues, and is prevalent in Africa, Caribbean, United States, Latin America, south-east Asia and the tropical Pacific islands.
This blog is written to help you with the home remedies and diet plans which you can follow to protect yourself from Angiostrongylus cantonensis.
How is it caused?
The Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection can be caused in humans through the following ways:
- Eating raw or uncooked snails.
- It is also caused by eating freshwater prawns, crabs, frogs, etc.
- Eating unwashed salads and vegetables which may be contaminated by snails and other slugs.
- Drinking contaminated water.
- The disease can also be transmitted by small mammals such as rats or rodents who have the infection.
What are the signs and symptoms of this infection?
When you are infected by the Angiostrongyliasis disease or Angiostrongylus infection, the symptoms is usually from 1 week to 1 month. However, in certain situations, the time period of the symptoms may even last up to 47 days.
The various symptoms of Angiostrongylus infection or Angiostrongyliasis are:
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe headache
- Stiffness in the neck
- Weakness in muscle
- Chronic pain due to nerve damage
- Quadriparesis (paralysis in all four limbs and torso)
- Respiratory failure
The symptoms of Angiostrongylus infection or Angiostrongyliasis should not be neglected since, it is a fatal disease.
What are the best home remedies and diet plan to treat or prevent this infection?
If the causes and symptoms mentioned above, are similar in your case, then you could be this infection. And, it is equally necessary to take immediate measures in order to treat or prevent yourself from such disease.
Below is an outline of suggestions that will be of great help to you with this infection. What’s more? The top 5 home remedies and diet plan will save you from the burden and cost of frequent hospital visits.
Since, the treatment of Angiostrongylus infection or Angiostrongyliasis is not well-defined, however, there are few natural ways that can help you with the treatment of the infectious disease.
Follow the simple tips below to prevent yourself and your loved ones from this infection. Wash your hands properly before consuming anything.
- Wash salads and vegetables properly before cooking or eating.
- Wash and carefully clean prawns, snails, crabs, frogs, etc., before cooking or eating.
- Avoid drinking water from open sources, which may have been contaminated by the parasite.
- Prevent young children from playing with or eating live snails, etc.
Since, there are no vaccines in the development for Angiostrongylus cantonensis infection, you can prevent it by the above-mentioned measures.