What is African Trypanosomiasis?
African Trypanosomiasis is a fatal disease that is caused by an insect-borne parasite, certain tsetse flies species that transmit the disease to humans and animals. It is commonly called the African sleeping sickness or Nagana in the region.
This endemic disease is mainly present in the rural regions where people are mainly involved in occupations such as agriculture, fishing, animal husbandry and hunting.
Therefore, if the disease is left untreated, it could lead to the person’s death.
This blog is written to help you with the home remedies and diet plans which you can follow to protect yourself from (disease name).
How is it caused?
The African Trypanosomiasis is a fatal disease and should not be ignored. Let’s take a look at the various causes which can lead to the African Trypanosomiasis disease.
- The tsetse flies feed on the blood from infected humans as well as mammals and passes it on to other humans and animals in the process.
- The tsetse fly species breeds in unhygienic surroundings and thus, carry the disease and infects both people and animals.
- They are also found in abundance in the dense vegetation areas along the streams.
What are its symptoms?
The incubation period, where the early symptoms start showing in the affected person, can last for a week or two. Since its symptoms can last up to two weeks, it should not be ignored and must require immediate treatment possible.
- Severe headache
- Muscle and joint pain
- Inflammation of the lymph nodes
- Sleep disturbances at night
- Loss of concentration
- Profound lethargy (or lack of energy)
- Weight loss
What are the home remedies and diet guide to treat or cure African Trypanosomiasis (African sleeping sickness)?
If the causes and symptoms mentioned above, are similar in your case, then you could be having this disease. And, it is equally necessary to take immediate measures in order to avoid or cure yourself of such disease.
Below is an outline of suggestions that will be of great help to you with the disease. What’s more? The home remedies and diet plans will save you the burden and cost of frequent hospital visits.
- Stay away from bushes and dense vegetation areas, as the tsetse flies inhabit such areas.
- Avoid riding in the back of vehicles as the dust created by vehicles attract the tsetse flies.
- Make sure that you check the vehicle properly before getting in.
- Wear protective clothing with long sleeves so as to properly cover your body and prevent the tsetse flies from attacking you.
- Wear clothes that are neutral in colour such as, khaki, olive, etc. because the tsetse flies are attracted to bright and dark contrast colours.
- Always use bed nets when sleeping to protect yourself from being bitten by tsetse flies.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before eating.
- Keep the fruits and vegetables in enclosed containers to keep them away from tsetse flies.
If you follow the above-mentioned remedies carefully, you can protect yourself from the deadly disease. Your life is very important to you. Since, the disease is most common in the African tropics, taking careful measures can keep you healthy and alive.