What is American Trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease)?
People who live in rural areas, where poverty is widespread, have to face a lot of challenges, including diseases and infections. While many diseases can be chronic, there is no doubt that the inhabitants of such areas develop complications either immediately or at later stages.
American Trypanosomiasis is an infectious disease which is caused by a parasite called the Trypanosoma cruzi. The parasite is spread by Triatominae or the kissing bugs through their faeces. These insects feed on vertebrate blood and thus, transmit the infection when a person or animal is bitten by the bug.
An important fact about this disease is that it was first discovered by a Brazilian physician Carlos Chagas in 1909. It is also called the Chagas disease, which is named after the Brazilian physician.
The Chagas disease is found in many parts of southern America, Central America and Mexico. As of now, the disease is found in America only, hence, the name American Trypanosomiasis.
This blog is written to help you with the home remedies and diet plans which you can follow to protect yourself from American Trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease).
How is it caused?
The American Trypanosomiasis disease can be caused by various factors. These factors are given below:
- The Triatominae bugs live in huts, thatch, mud, crevices on walls or roofs, etc. during the day and come out at night and bite people when they are sleeping.
- The parasite can enter your body through your eyes, mouth, cuts, scratch or wounds from the bug’s bite.
- Rubbing or scratching the bite in your eyes helps the parasite to enter your body.
- The parasite can multiply and spread as they infect your body.
- It can be caused by coming in direct contact with infected animals in forests and nearby surroundings.
- You can be infected if you eat uncooked food contaminated with the faeces of the Triatominae bug.
- The disease can be transmitted from an infected mother to her child at birth.
- It can be caused by blood transfusion containing infected blood.
- It can be caused when an infected person’s organ is transplanted into you.
- It can also be caused when working in a laboratory where there’s an accidental exposure to the parasite.
What are its symptoms?
The American Trypanosomiasis or Chagas disease in people start to show acute or brief to chronic symptoms that may last for a longer period of time.
- The symptoms of the disease are:
- Swelling around bite wounds
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Enlargement of the oesophagus leading to difficulty swallowing
- Enlargement of the colon leading to constipation
- Heart failure
What are the home remedies and diet guide to treat or prevent American Trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease)?
If the causes and symptoms mentioned above, are similar in your case, then you could be having this disease. And, it is equally necessary to take immediate measures in order to treat or prevent yourself from such disease.
Below is an outline of suggestions that will be of great help to you with the disease. What’s more? The home remedies and diet plans will save you the burden and cost of frequent hospital visits.
- Avoid sleeping in mud, thatch or huts, especially in southern and central America and Mexico.
- Use insecticide-soaked netting over your bed before sleeping.
- Use insecticides in your home.
- Use insect repellent on the exposed skin of your body.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Wash vegetables before cooking.
- Do not drink contaminated water.
If you are living in such high-risk areas, the preventive measures mentioned above can save your life. As long as you can practise a good hygiene, you can protect yourself from many infections and diseases.